Pets as check-in baggage
Your cat or dog may travel as check-in baggage in a kennel in a ventilated part of the aircraft, when meeting all of the following requirements:
- Dogs and cats must be at least eight (8) weeks old.
- Only kennels that comply with IATA rules are accepted
- You can purchase such a kennel at larger pet shops or specialist shipping agents. Read more on www.iata.org.
- Please note that Tiara Air’s Boeing 737 aircraft cannot accept Type 500 series kennels or larger for checked pets (40 x 27 x 30 inch or 100 x 70 x 75 cm).
- Animals must be able to stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in the kennel.
- Only one pet per kennel is allowed.
- The total weight of your pet and kennel combined may be max. 75 kg (165 lbs).
- Pets not accepted at departure time remain the responsibility of their owner.
- A maximum of two check-in pets per passenger is allowed.
- Check-in pets will not be accepted more than four hours prior to your departure time.
- Charges are payable upon check in. Transportation of guide dogs for physically challenged travelers is free of charge.
- Snub-nosed animals such as pugs, boxers, bulldogs, Pekinese and Persian cats can have trouble breathing during the flight due to high temperatures and stress. Therefore, we do not transport these species.
It is the pet owner’s responsibility to be fully informed about the rules and regulations regarding the import of pets in the country of destination.
To find out which documents are required and which rules apply to transporting your pet to your country of destination, we recommend consulting the embassies of the country of destination or visit the website www.iata.org.
For Aruba the following requirements apply:
- A vaccination booklet issued by a veterinarian, certifying the list of vaccinations.
- A health certificate issued by a veterinarian, not older than 7 days.
- The pet must have an identification chip.
The passenger, under whose care the pets travels, must be in possession of all original documents required.
A set of copies of the documents must be attached to the kennel.
Prepare your pet for travel:
- Allow five days before the flight for your pet to get used to its kennel.
- Do not let your pet eat or drink four (4) hours before departure.
- Do not tranquillize your pet. Its temperature may drop during the flight, and it will need longer to get accustomed to its new surroundings.
- The check-in process for pets may take some time. We recommend arriving at the airport three (3) hours before your scheduled departure time when transporting your pet as check-in baggage.
The costs depend on your destination. Transportation of guide dogs for physically challenged travelers is free of charge. Always make a reservation at least 48 hours in advance and please inform accordingly.